Revision as of 10:23, 18 October 2010 by Dee
- 1 Support
- 2 VB Sites
- 3 Databases
- 4 Media libraries
- 5 Programming practices
- 6 Standards
- 7 3rd party utilities
- 8 Humour
There are HUNDREDS of VB sites out there, but no one can remember them all. Here is a selection...
Please note that this is a wiki so feel free to add your own links in the appropriate section or to remove/correct any links found to be dead.
- How to ask questions - If you expect to get an answer, try giving as much information as possible
- Google - Contrary to popular belief, you are most likely NOT the first person to come across your problem.
- Google guide - How to use Google effectively
- VB6 online help - An online version of the VB6 help in MSDN
- MSDN library online - Everything you need to know about windows and the API
-  - Microsoft Knowledge Base articles
- Nordicaccess.com Free VB Dot net code - Visual basic tutorials and video
- Karl E. Petersons classic VB code - A site devoted to Classic VB (VB6) code, samples, etc...
- VB Accelerator - Free code/libraries/information on anything (VB related)
- VBWire - Visual Basic news and information source
- VBnet - Visual Basic developers resource centre
- Spider-Bit - Visual Basic products/tutorials/sources
- GH-Gold VB Keycodes - Special keys used in VB - If you need to use special characters like Carriage Return, Backspace, etc (note you can see a list of most keywords in VB by pressing Ctrl+Space or Ctrl+J).
- VBRun - The Microsoft Visual Basic 6 resource center.
- DevX.com - Articles and source code sorted by difficulty degree.
- EliteVB Archive - Articles and source code for various things (this is an archive of the EliteVB site)
- XtremeVBTalk - one of the oldest support forums for VB on the web, experts are always around to help
- The Visual Basic Coding Source - FREE and Unique source code, examples, tutorials, links, and resources for all versions of Visual Basic and Visual Basic.NET.
- Visual Basic Source Code for FREE - Completely free articles, tutorials, source code snippets, and much more for Visual Basic and Visual Basic.NET.
I/O - File
- Geeks.md Jorge Serrano post - How to get the MD5 of a specified file.
- Winsockvb.com - Articles, tutorials and source code regarding the Winsock control.
- VB Internet programming - All you want to know about internet programming with Visual Basic.
- Dial-up networking - Dial-up networking examples/tutorial using the RAS api.
- GPWiki - The Visual Basic game programming wiki
- Shrinkwrap VB - Older site about VfW video capture and AVI generation in VB
- DirectX4VB - The source for DirectX and multimedia programming in Visual Basic
- GDI+ Type Library for VB6 - A complete type library with additional samples for GDI+ in VB6
- VBSpeed - For all the speed junkies, you'll find lots of very fast functions and excellent optimisation tips here
- Vovisoft VB6 Unicode functions - Series of VB6 functions for handling Unicode text and converting between different formats (Page in Vietnamese)
- Luckey's vb gaming site - If you need to develop you own game using VB, this is for you. Tutorials and sources available.
- Visual Basic 6 Tutorial for beginners
Source code sites
- FreeVBCode - Exactly what it says... Free VB code!
- No more pasting - Don't paste code in the channel. Here will do
- Planet Source Code - Planet Source Code. Millions of lines of visual basic, of all standards
- Working with databases - The basics of SQL and using databases in VB.
- Using Ado.NET
- VBA For MS Access - Quite a good site about database MS Access development
- Using SQLite3 in VB
- Carl Prothman's Connection strings - The world's largest collection of Connection Strings on the Internet!
- ConnectionStrings.com - Another site listing Database Connection strings.
- SQLCourse.com - A unique introductory SQL tutorial
- Leo's Icon Archive - A HUGE library of icons of all styles and subjects
- The Icon Factory - Another large freeware icon site
- Making Wrong Code Look Wrong - Article on the common misconceptions about Hungarian notation and its use
- NTFS documentation - A bit off for Visual Basic, but still, one of the BEST resources for NTFS information.
- XHTML reference - Everything you need to know about XHTML.
3rd party utilities
- ApiViewer 2004 - An updated version of ApiViewer, contains all declarations from Windows XP and lower.
- MZ-Tools - A plugin to VB with a host of very useful features
- InnoSetup - The best installer in the west.
- NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) - Good competition.
- REd - Fully COM controllable and modular resource editor (still under development)
- Resource Hacker - Simple easy to use resource editor
- UltraEdit32 - Commercial programmer's text editor, but worth every penny
- XN Resource editor - Open source (Delphi 2006) resource editor
- Dilbert - A satirical look at office life in the IT industry
- The Old New Thing - A blog by Raymond Chen, long-time Microsoft employee/insider that covers various programming concepts, ideas, and real life. Be sure and check out the comments for technical & comedy gold.
- Human virus scanner - What do YOU suffer from?
- The Daily WTF - Lots of examples of what NOT to do when programming.
- xkcd - A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.